- Preheat oven to 370°F.
- In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients: date paste, applesauce, bananas, aquafaba and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt (if desired).
- Add wet ingredients to bowl of dry ingredients and mix until well combined (but avoid over-mixing).
- Add optional walnuts and/or chocolate chips (if desired) and stir.
- Pour batter into a nonstick loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely (about 20 minutes). Then use a knife to loosen the edges and slide the loaf out of the pan.
Notes: Aquafaba is the viscous liquid in which canned legumes (e.g., chickpeas) have been cooked. Three tablespoons is equal to one egg or one egg white. The small amount of salt will help to make the bread less sweet.