A grilled entree you will feel proud to serve family and friends at the next summer barbecue.
- Prep Time: 180 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 4 carrots, whole
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp tamari, low-sodium
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Liquid smoke, to taste
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 4 hot dog buns, whole wheat
- Toppings (e.g., ketchup, mustard, relish, BBQ sauce)
- Peel carrots, trim ends, and cut to length of hot dog buns.
- Fill saucepan half full with water and bring to a boil. Add carrots and lower to medium heat, cooking until you can slightly pierce them with a fork (but do not cut through).
- Add vinegar, water, tamari, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, liquid smoke and black pepper to a plastic bowl or bag. Stir to combine. Add carrots and shake to coat.
- Place in refrigerator and marinate for at least three hours.*
- Pour marinade and carrots into a large pan and cook on grill or stove top for 5-10 minutes, rotating periodically.
- Serve in a whole wheat hot dog bun with your choice of toppings.
Notes: Three hours is the minimum marinating time, but they may sit in the refrigerator for up to a few days. A longer marinating time will mean a stronger, more infused flavor.