Chef AJ’s Disappearing Lasagna
A classic Italian dish made the plant-based way, so good that you won’t have any leftovers!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 70 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 3 3/4 cups beans, cannellini , cooked, rinsed
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup basil, fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup miso paste, light
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup pine nuts, raw cashews or hemp seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp garlic, fresh, chopped
- 2 pounds spinach, frozen, defrosted, drained, chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 pounds sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup tamari, low sodium
- 1 tsp garlic, fresh, chopped
- 6 cups marinara sauce
- 2 boxes lasagna noodles, no boil
- 2/3 cup olives, sliced (optional)
- Vegan Parmesan
- Make the filling in a food processor fitted with the “S” blade by adding all ingredients except spinach. Puree until smooth. Add spinach and process again.
- In a large non-stick sauté pan, sauté the onion in 2 tablespoons of water until translucent, about 8 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Add mushrooms, tamari and garlic and sauté until browned. Taste mixture, adding more chopped garlic and tamari as you like. Cook until mushrooms appear to be glazed and there is no more liquid left in the pan.
- Pour 3 cups of the sauce in a lasagna pan or 9×13 inch pan. Place one layer of the no boil noodles on top. Cover the noodles with half of the bean/spinach mixture, then with half of the mushroom mixture. Place another layer of noodles on the mushroom mixture and add the remaining half of the bean/spinach mixture and the remaining half of the mushroom mixture. Place one more layer of noodles on top of the mushroom mixture and smother evenly with the remaining 3 cups of sauce. Sprinkle the sliced olives on top of the sauce along with a liberal sprinkling of Vegan Parmesan (if using).
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 375°F oven for an hour. Let it sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
Notes: If you have time, marinate the sliced mushrooms in tamari or raw coconut aminos several hours in advance or even the night before. Pine nuts can be replaced with raw cashews or hemp seeds. Frozen spinach can be replaced with 1-pound frozen kale, defrosted and drained with all the liquid squeezed out. Make sure that the top layer of noodles is fully covered with sauce.