An Italian classic gets a plant-based makeover with a base of cannellini beans, potatoes as a thickener, and the familiar flavors of onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- 2 cups potato, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes*
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 12 ounces fettuccine pasta, uncooked
- 4 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cannellini beans, cooked, rinsed
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- To Serve
- Italian parsley, fresh, chopped
- Vegan Parmesan (optional)
- Bring 4 cups water to boil in a medium pot. Add potatoes and onion then boil for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Reserve the liquid as you drain potatoes, then set aside.
- When potatoes are done, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook fettuccine according to the directions on the package.
- Saute minced garlic in a small skillet over medium heat 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Stir to avoid burning, and add a drop of water as needed.
- Add cannellini beans and 1 cup reserved liquid to a blender and pulse to combine.
- Next add potatoes, onion, garlic, seasonings and lemon juice and blend until smooth, adding reserved liquid as needed for desired consistency.
- Transfer drained fettuccine and blended sauce into a serving dish and mix them together. Top with parsley and/or Vegan Parmesan (optional) and serve.
Notes: Potatoes are used as a thickening agent. You can also substitute cauliflower florets, following the same method to boil them until tender.