Holiday Wild Rice With Cranberries and Pecans
A recipe that captures the heart and soul of the holidays in one elegant plant-based dish.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1/2 cup shallot, diced
- 3/4 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup cranberries, dried
- 3 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp parsley, fresh (optional)
- 2 tbsp thyme, fresh
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- Preheat the oven to to 450°F.
- Place a medium pot over medium heat, then add the shallot and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pot and the amount of water listed on the package, then bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium-low, stir and cover. Continue simmering until the rice is cooked through, as according to the directions on the package.
- Peel and dice the butternut squash then spread on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes then toss and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Add the pecans to the baking sheet during the last 2 to 3 minutes so they can toast.
- When both rice and squash are cooked, combine in a bowl then toss with cranberries, orange zest, parsley, thyme, cranberries and black pepper. Dish can be served warm or at room temperature.