- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add lentils and simmer on medium-low heat until tender and starting to fall apart, about 25-30 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add chopped carrots, celery and shallots and cook about 3 minutes or until softened, stirring and adding a drop of water if needed.
- Add sliced almonds, thyme, and black pepper and cook until almonds are lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a food processor and add 1 cup cooked lentils. Pulse until mixture is coarsely ground, scraping the sides as needed.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl, then add the remaining lentils. Stir and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add whole wheat bread crumbs, aquafaba and lemon juice. Stir then place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and form into patties.
- Cook patties on a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes per side or until lightly browned.
Notes: Aquafaba is the viscous liquid in which canned legumes (e.g. chickpeas) have been cooked. Three tablespoons is equal to one egg or one egg white. In this recipe, aquafaba replaces egg as a binding ingredient, along with the whole wheat bread crumbs. This helps the mixture stick so it can be formed into patties. The refrigeration period (required) will also help the mixture stiffen up. If patties are not forming well, additional bread crumbs can be added.