Linguine With Vodka Cream Sauce
A plant-based pasta dinner that gets a creamy kick from soaked cashews.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 cup linguine, uncooked
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, fresh, minced
- 3 1/2 cups tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 cup vodka or vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 cup cashews, soaked
- 1 1/2 tbsp basil, fresh, chopped
- Red pepper flakes, crushed, to taste
- Cook linguine according to directions on package.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, sauté onions until golden brown, about 5 minutes, adding a drop or two of water as needed if sticking occurs.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add crushed tomatoes and cook until thick, about 8 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add vodka or vegetable broth and cook until reduced by half, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from stove and place in blender with cashews and blend until smooth.
- Return sauce to skillet. Add basil and pasta and toss to coat. Serve hot.
Notes: Cashews should be soaked in water overnight. For a quicker method, boil them for 5-10 minutes. Drain water out before adding to the recipe.