- Cook linguine according to directions on package.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, sauté onions until golden brown, about 5 minutes, adding a drop or two of water as needed if sticking occurs.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add crushed tomatoes and cook until thick, about 8 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add vodka or vegetable broth and cook until reduced by half, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from stove and place in blender with cashews and blend until smooth.
- Return sauce to skillet. Add basil and pasta and toss to coat. Serve hot.
Notes: Cashews should be soaked in water overnight. For a quicker method, boil them for 5-10 minutes. Drain water out before adding to the recipe.