A plant-based version of traditional stroganoff that celebrates the earthy, smoky flavor of shiitake mushrooms with a creamy yet dairy-free sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1/2 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 10 cups mushrooms, fresh, thinly sliced (e.g., shiitake, oyster, cremini)
- 2 tbsp flour, whole wheat or gluten-free
- 1 cup white wine, dry
- 1 cup vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1/2 cup Cashew Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp parsley, fresh, minced (plus more to garnish)
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 2 cups wide noodles, egg-free, uncooked
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the shallot and sauté until lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Next, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they have softened and released most of their liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir to incorporate. Add wine and broth and cook until most of the alcohol has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the Cashew Sour Cream. Season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to the package instructions. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and toss to combine. Warm briefly over low heat to blend the flavors. Add as much of the cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.