Umami Almond, Quinoa, and Sun-Dried Tomato Burgers
A plant-based burger that uses raw almonds and pre-cooked quinoa for the base, along with a number of seasonings that ignite that umami essence.*
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 cups almonds, raw
- 1 garlic clove, cut in quarters
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari, low-sodium
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp rosemary, dry
- 3/4 to 1 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped, oil-free
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, cooked, cooled
- In a food processor, add almonds, garlic, balsamic, tamari, tomato paste, and rosemary. Puree until the nuts are very finely ground, and becoming a little sticky. Be sure to grind them fine enough so that the almonds release some oils and become a little ‘sticky’, that will help bind the burgers – you don’t want almond butter, but a very fine meal that is becoming clumpy.
- Then add green onions and sun-dried tomatoes and pulse through until the mixture becomes dense and is starting to hold together. Add quinoa and process/pulse through again until well incorporated.
- Remove blade, and shape into patties (or refrigerate first for 1/2 hour, helps make easier to shape patties).
- To cook, heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook patties, about 5–7 minutes on first side, and then another 3–5 minutes on second side until golden brown.
- These patties hold their shape well, but if they are flipped a lot and overcooked they become more crumbly and dry. Serve with fixings of choice. Makes about 6 patties.
Notes: Some varieties/brands of sun-dried tomatoes can be very tough and hard, and others quite soft. If the ones you have are soft, go ahead and add them straight – but if they are very hard, it is useful to soak them in boiling water for a few minutes to soften (fully drain and pat dry before adding to processor). You can substitute brown rice for the quinoa. If grilling, cook patties on non-stick foil on pre-heated grill until golden brown on each side.