Whole Grain Bread
An oil-free, salt-free bread that maximizes nutrition without the unwanted add-ins and works as the perfect base for our Un-Tuna Sandwich.
- Prep Time: 315 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-35 minutes
- Total Time: 340-350 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- 3 3/4 cups pastry flour, whole wheat
- 1 1/2 cups water, warm
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast, fast-acting
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds, raw or dry roasted
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except rolled oats and sunflower seeds and stir until incorporated (dough will be sticky). When too thick to stir, begin kneading by hand, adding additional flour until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer dough into second bowl. Cover and let rise for 2 hours at room temperature then 2 hours in the fridge.
- Remove dough from fridge. Make a hole in the center and add sunflower seeds and oats. Sprinkle flour on the surface and knead until dough becomes elastic and seeds and oats have been incorporated.
- Form into a loaf and place in a parchment-lined loaf pan. Cover loosely and let the dough raise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F and place a metal pan on the lowest oven rack.
- Cut two or three 1/2-inch deep slashes into the top of the bread.
- Place bread on upper oven rack, then quickly add 1 cup hot water to the metal pan underneath, then close oven door.
- Bake 25-35 minutes, or until the dough has risen and is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing.