An incredible side dish for Thanksgiving, prepared with a homemade plant-based cornbread
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup flour, whole wheat or gluten-free
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1/4 cup poblanos, chopped
- 1/4 cup sage, fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dry
- 2 teaspoons garlic, fresh, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup corn, frozen, thawed
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup kale, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup currants, dried
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 batch Cornbread, coarsely crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together cornmeal, flours, and baking powder in a large bowl, and plant-based milk and maple syrup in a small bowl, then combine together in the large bowl (do not overmix).
- Pour batter into a nonstick 8×8 baking dish and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside while preparing the stuffing.
- Sauté onions over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until softened, adding a drop or two of water as needed if sticking occurs. Add carrot, celery and black pepper and continue to cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add poblanos, sage, oregano and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add white wine to deglaze the pan, then corn, green onion, kale and currents. Cook until kale wilts, about 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk plant-based milk and maple syrup. Set aside.
- Crumble cornbread and place in a large bowl. Add sautéed veggies and toss, then plant-based milk/maple syrup mixture and toss again. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Line 11×9 pan with parchment paper. Add stuffing and bake for 15-20 minutes, until outside is crispy and inside is soft. For a golden crust, broil for 2-3 minutes before removing from the oven.