Spicy Peanut Tofu Lettuce Wrap
An amazing lettuce wrap filling that is sure to become a lunchtime favorite.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 3–4 heads bibb lettuce, washed
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup tamari, low-sodium
- 1/4 cup date sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- Hoisin and/or chile sauce, to taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 cup peanuts, roasted, oil-free, salt-free
- Drain tofu 1 1/2 hours before preparing recipe by placing it in a tofu press and extracting the excess water.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut tofu into small cubes and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes until dry and firm. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a bowl, whisk tamari, date sugar, almond butter, and chili garlic sauce, hoisin and/or chili sauce (if using). Add cooled tofu to the sauce and stir to coat. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat a medium sauteing pan. Transfer tofu into pan and cook, stirring frequently, until browned. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Mix tofu with shredded carrot, green onion, mint, and peanuts.
- Place lettuce in bowl. Add tofu and serve.