Yummy Black Bean, Beet, and Shiitake Burgers
A flavor-infused plant-based twist on a summertime staple.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 1/2 cup black beans, cooked, rinsed
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, fresh, thick stems removed
- 1 cup forbidden rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup beets, raw, grated
- 3 tbsp aquafaba
- 1 tbsp stone-ground mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse black beans and transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Mash them with a fork.
- Process walnuts (or pecans) in a food processor. Add them to the mashed black beans.
- Process shiitake mushrooms in a food processor. Mix them with forbidden rice, beets, and all other ingredients.
- Chill mixture for 15 to 30 minutes in the refrigerator to thicken. Form patties by hand.
- Bake patties at 375˚F for 25 minutes. Cool for 2 to 3 minutes and serve.
Notes: If grilling, cook patties on non-stick foil on pre-heated grill until golden brown on each side. Patties can also be wrapped individually (uncooked) and frozen for later use.