Gluten-Free Date Nut Bread
A holiday favorite with Medjool dates, chopped walnuts and spicy cinnamon that you’ll want to prepare year-round.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8-10 1x
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups Medjool dates, pitted, chopped
- 2 cups flour, whole wheat or gluten-free
- 2/3 cup sucanat
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 3/4 cup Homemade Nut Milk or store-bought plant-based milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 4 tbsp aquafaba
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pour boiling water over the dates and soak for at least ten minutes.
- Combine flour, sucanat, baking soda and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl and stir.
- In a second mixing bowl, add nut milk and vinegar then whisk vigorously.
- When frothy, add applesauce and aquafaba and stir.
- Drain dates and fold them into the bowl along with the walnuts. Add extra dairy-free milk if the batter appears dry.
- Pour nut bread mixture into a 9×5 inch baking pan.
- Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes.
Notes: Aquafaba is the liquid that most people discard from canned beans (aqua = water, faba = bean). If using canned chickpeas, drain and collect the bean liquid and proceed with the recipe. One can yields ~3/4 cup (or 9 tablespoons) aquafaba.