No-Fu (Lentil) Love Loaf
A plant-based ‘meat-less’ loaf that transforms a traditional American supper into a more healthful version by using better-for-you ingredients.*
- Prep Time: 35-40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- Total Time: 65-75 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1/2 cup lentils, brown or green
- 1 cup vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup bulgur
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 1 cup oats, rolled or quick
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp tamari, low-sodium
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp chia seeds or flaxseed meal
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp tahini or sunflower seed butter
- 2 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tsp basil, dried
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/4 tsp thyme, dried
- 1/8 tsp fennel, ground (optional)
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 3–4 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp barbecue sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line bottom of an oven-proof glass loaf pan with a strip of parchment paper, placed so the paper protrudes along the short ends of the pan, allowing for easier removal of the loaf after baking.
- Combine lentils, vegetable broth, 1⁄3 cup water, and bay leaf in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower to medium-low heat. Cover and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, until just about tender.
- Once done, add bulgur and 1 cup boiling water. Cover and cook on medium-low for another 8 to 9 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and add all remaining ingredients (except topping)
- .Stir very well then transfer mixture to prepared pan and pack it in.
- Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl then spread over the top of the loaf.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 to 28 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
Notes: Gluten-free steel cut oats may be used in place of bulgur.