Sweet Potato Chili With Kale
A one-of-a-kind plant-based chili that combines familiar favorites like kidney beans, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and spices, with some unique twists, such as orange juice and sweet potatoes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cups red bell peppers, diced
- 3 cups orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 5 cups sweet potato, diced
- 4 cups tomato, fresh, diced
- 3 3/4 cups kidney beans, cooked, rinsed
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 2 cups kale, finely shredded
- In large pot, sauté onion and bell pepper in half of the orange juice for 8 to 10 minutes until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for the kale.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer for 25 to 30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft, but not mushy.
- Turn off heat and stir in kale so it wilts, then serve.
Notes: To make in an electric pressure cooker, place all ingredients in the cooker and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes then release pressure. You can replace the fresh tomatoes with two 14.5 ounce cans of salt-free tomatoes.