Blissful Banana Bread
A classic baked good goes on a wholesome ride as we create a better-for-you breakfast/dessert that has all the flavor you know and love.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- 1 cup date paste
- 1/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 3 bananas, very ripe, mashed
- 3 tbsp aquafaba
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pastry flour, whole wheat, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/8 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 3 tbsp chocolate chips, dairy-free (optional)
- Preheat oven to 370°F.
- In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients: date paste, applesauce, bananas, aquafaba and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt (if desired).
- Add wet ingredients to bowl of dry ingredients and mix until well combined (but avoid over-mixing).
- Add optional walnuts and/or chocolate chips (if desired) and stir.
- Pour batter into a nonstick loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely (about 20 minutes). Then use a knife to loosen the edges and slide the loaf out of the pan.
Notes: Aquafaba is the viscous liquid in which canned legumes (e.g., chickpeas) have been cooked. Three tablespoons is equal to one egg or one egg white. The small amount of salt will help to make the bread less sweet.