Cinnamon Coffee Cake
A moist cake accented by a crunchy top layer to enjoy with a warm beverage in the morning or slice up when guests come over to visit.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
- Total Time: 50-55 minutes
- Yield: 9 1x
- 2 1/2 cups pastry flour, whole wheat or gluten-free
- 1 3/4 cup sucanat
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground (plus more for topping)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 3/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 cup Homemade Nut Milk or store-bought plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup yogurt, dairy-free
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, sucanat, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Add applesauce and stir until crumbly. Remove 1 cup of mixture and set aside for use in Step 5.
- In a separate bowl, combine nutmilk, dairy-free yogurt, vinegar, vanilla, baking powder and baking soda.
- Stir well then mix into the large bowl of dry ingredients. Add chopped nuts (if using) and stir.
- Pour batter into an 8×8 baking dish.
- Crumble over the top of the batter then sprinkle with additional cinnamon as desired.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.