What’s for breakfast?
This is one of the questions most frequently asked by newbie and advanced plant-based dieters.
And while at first glance, it might feel like there are few choices for a plant-based breakfast, you will soon discover that a plant-based breakfast can be varied, quick to prepare and incredibly delicious.
Here are 8 of our favorite ideas to power up your breakfast table starting today:
- Bread and spread. This is probably the easiest and most familiar place to start. Choose a whole grain (sprouted) bread or tortillas and spread them with hummus, baba ganoush, avocado (guacamole!), nut butters and fruit spreads. You can even try to make your own whole grain bread with our recipe here.
- Cereals and nut milk. For a filling breakfast that changes with the seasons, choose a high protein/high fiber cereal such as Uncle Sam’s or Ezekiel brands and add oats, nuts and whatever fruits you have on hand. Make your own plant-based milk with our simple Homemade Nut Milk recipe.
- Raw fruits and vegetables. Blend kale and other greens with fruits for a raw morning smoothie or just mix them together in a fruit and/or veggie salad. (Bonus: We have 9 green juice recipes here!)
- Porridges. Dishes like oatmeal and Muesli are packed with protein. Top your porridge up with nuts and fresh fruits—or even veggies!
- Potatoes! Potatoes! Potatoes! Potato hash has everything. Starch, protein and tons of vitamins and minerals. You can also enjoy Potato Wedges as a breakfast side dish, or try out our simple and delicious Build-Me-Up Breakfast Bowl that uses sweet potato as the main ingredient!
- Quinoa Bowls. While quinoa might not strike you as a breakfast food at first, it’s filling, packed with protein and goes great with fruits and nut milks.
- Tofu. It’s so versatile you can make nearly any kind of breakfast out of it. For example, you can quickly whip up a batch of our Southwestern Tofu Scramble, or if you have more time, try out our Smoked Tofu Benedict that is perfect for special occasions or Sunday mornings with the family.
- Pancakes, Muffins and Breads. Just because you switched to a plant-based diet doesn’t mean you have to give up breakfast goodies like stacks of pancakes and yummy muffins. Enjoy the variety by trying out our Fluffy Vegan Pancakes, Dairy-Free Buttermilk Pancakes, Blueberry Pancakes, and Oatmeal Muffins.
As you can see, breakfast as a plant-based eater just made eating in the morning much more fun.
And by the way, don’t try to rush into all these options in one fell swoop. Instead, you are probably going to want to make a gradual transition to eating things like veggies and salads for breakfast. One great tip is to start with breakfast food choices that are easy to make and more familiar like toast, cereal or fruit. You then slowly start to branch out and experiment with different breakfast choices.
By this time next year, you may even be eating beans, veggies and salads for breakfast every single day!